Determine which cockroach species you have
Cockroaches are difficult to control, mainly due to their habit of laying egg pouches,containing numerous eggs, in inaccessible areas.
There are two main species, Oriental (blatta orientalis) and German (Blattella germanica). Both these types of roaches have different habitats and habits and also look rather different from each other, so it should be fairly easy to identify which species of cockroach you are dealing with.
Oriental Cockroachs are generally found at floor level, are large (20-24mm), broad and reddish brown in colour. Reasonable climbers so check higher levels for activity too..
German Cockroaches are more often found off floor level and these are small (10-15mm) slim sandy coloured insects with clearly visible wing structures which are not developed sufficiently for them to fly. Excellent climbers, hence the higher levels at which you will find these cockroaches, they can even walk on ceilings and undersides of cupboards!Shop for Professional Insecticides-Rodenticides Products
German Cockroach Control Treatment
This sand coloured roach will generally be found at higher levels and, as with other cockroaches, is generally nocturnal in habit.
1. You will require to be rather investigative to find the hiding places of the German Cockroach. This species tends to live at higher levels than the Oriental Cockroach and treatment can be more difficult.
Essentially you need to carry out the same treatment as is outlined above but with more concentration on the higher levels.
2. You will need to apply insecticide to the backs of work surfaces, taking care to wipe off the front parts of treated work surfaces with damp paper kitchen towel, which can then be disposed in your rubbish bin.
Cockroach killer powder (Rentokil Ant & Crawling Insect Killer) may need to be applied inside electrical equipment such as coffee maker because the German Cockroaches like to live inside equipment, which does tend to make treatment much more difficult.
Lo-Line Cockroach Traps or Crawling Insect Monitors should be placed on work surfaces, in cupboards, on top of cupboards and a few at floor level in order to trap the German Cockroach.
Latest trends in cockroach control involve the use of food baits to poison cockroaches from within. Sadly, these baits are not available for non-professional use however, you can view these products on our Professional Insecticides page.
Oriental Cockroach Control Treatment
This reddish brown roach generally will be found at lower levels but can climb fairly well so will also turn up at elevated levels, and, as with other cockroaches, is generally nocturnal in habit.
1. Spray apply an insecticidal liquid around the total perimeter wall floor junctions of each affected room. Where roaches have been found at higher levels, then carefully apply product to those areas too. Products that are suitable for this purpose are, Pro-Active C water based low odour insecticide and Rentokil Insectrol Aerosol. The latter will not give such long term protection from cockroaches but may penetrate better under skirtings and into small voids.
Spray applied insecticides will require re-application after 15 days, then every 30 days after that until the infestation is clear.
2. Once the surfaces are dry you can apply an insecticidal dust such as Rentokil Insectrol Dust 150g to places where spraying can be difficult. Particular attention should be given to applying insecticidal powder into voids, under appliances ie: ovens, into pipe ducting, under raised base cupboards and behind fixed units. Cockroaches like all these areas.
3. Set up some cockroach traps. These come in two sizes, Crawling Insect Monitor is a small sticky trap that could catch maybe half a dozen cockroaches, it is, as the name indicates, a tool for monitoring cockroach activity and if you have a significant problem, then the Lo-Line Cockroach Trap would be a better investment. The majority of Traps should be placed at floor level with just a couple at higher levels, let’s say on kitchen work surfaces, where cockroaches like to forage for food.
Latest trends in cockroach control involve the use of food baits to poison cockroaches from within. Sadly, these baits are not available for non-professional use however, you can view these products on our Professional Insecticides page.Shop for Professional Insecticides-Rodenticides Products